Therefore, I had to learn to deal. I have what seems like a billion tips for becoming a morning person on my Pinterest board, but I hadn't tried many of the tips myself or they didn't fit where I am in my life right now. I'm a lucky SAHM and Celine usually sleeps until 8 (give or take an hour), but recently Joel and I have had to share a car, meaning if I need it, I need to get up early and drop him off, which also means we're waking C up and packing her with us. I guess it's good practice though before the new baby comes (five weeks!!).
So here are my tried-and-true ways to force myself out of the bed in the morning:
- If you're going to use an alarm, do it right. - Don't hit the snooze button. Apparently studies show that by the time your body relaxes enough to fall asleep again, the alarm will go off. Because your body intuitively knows this, you won't get another restful 7-9 minutes and instead be groggier than the first time it went off. Pick a song, tune, radio station, or whatever that won't drive you crazy after two days and when it goes off, GET UP.
- Get fresh. - Wash your face, your hair, brush your teeth, take a shower, wipe yourself down with a wet wipe, whatever. A splash of cold water sends a shock to liven up your skin and sends a message to your brain that says, "You're not in bed anymore, get with the program." Citrus-y smelling things and face washes work wonders in the morning, especially before the sun comes up. You can do it!
- Start with food. -
- Let some light in. - We're stingy with our electric bill around here, so instead of turning on the lights in the house, we like to start with opening the blinds and letting the sun do the work for us. While I don't stick to my dad's mantra ("The sun's up so you should be too!"), there's something to letting nature do the job of waking up your body. Down side: if it's raining, overcast, or just downright gloomy, replace this step with playing Jack Johnson or something. I don't know, I'm trying here.
- Avoid the electronics. - As tempting as it is to check Facebook/email/Twitter/Instagram or Clash of Klans (*cough cough* JOEL) while you're waiting for your tart/strudel/toast to pop, don't. Give your eyes a change to adjust to natural light (if you have some at this hour) and real life before you get sucked into who needs you, who's doing what online, how many comments or likes you have, etc. You're awake, and sometimes that's enough to deal with on it's own for a bit.
- Do something. - Read a devotional, walk outside to get the paper, change out of pajamas, or if you're really ambitious, get a workout in (ha!). You'll already be starting the day with something accomplished that you can cross off of your list. Go you!
I hope you all have an amazing week. Happy Monday everyone!
|Mug available at clickandblossom.com|