I want to get back to the basics of blogging... there is a myriad of information out there on how to have a successful blog, how to effectively navigate social media, how to expand your audience, how to draw more followers, how to make money with your blog, and so on and so forth. I didn't get into blogging for the money. I wanted a creative outlet, a hobby, and a place to share what's going on in our lives. When I focus too much on the numbers, I lose sight of why I started typing my life in the first place.
So I'm just going to take a minute to share a few random what's-been-on-my-mind thoughts.
2. What I've been reading: I'm halfway through my second year of my 12 in 12 book challenge. I'm having a blast and even reading things I've always wanted to read but never took the time to read (and instead I'd skip to the movie ha ha). My beautiful cousin Clare recommended Girl on the Train, but I'm waiting for my string of sleepless pregnancy induced nightmare nights to end before I crack it open. In the meantime, I read Anne of Green Gables (perfect for the beginning of fall!) and still chipping away at Wild & Free. I finished Ender's Game (audiobook version) in June, so it's nice to be slowly catching up... I've lost count of what month I should be on.
|This is actually a free printable, so... happy fall!|
3. We're still chipping away at our house, mostly with not-so-fun basement projects and little things here and there. I'm waiting for our room to be clean enough to take pictures and FINALLY show off what it looks like, but unfortunately the mountain of laundry seems more like a volcano, exploding unexpectedly and making a big mess of things, usually the morning after I get caught up. Boo.
4. At the end of the month I'll be joining six of my friends from my local MOPS chapter to MomCon in Milwaukee and I could not be more excited. If you're a mom (pregnant with your first - youngest in kindergarten), see if there's a MOPS chapter local to you. Every one is different. but mine has been a tremendous blessing in my life. I found the community I was looking for when I was new in town (and to marriage and parenting) and in time, formed some pretty awesome friendships. I can't wait to see what this conference and this next year will bring!
5. We've still been talking out baby names options, and Lord knows I have a spreadsheet (color coded, I might add) to help me keep our billion conversations about them straight. Our preferences keep changing (big surprise), but for now we have it narrowed down to a top 5 first and middle (mix and match) for a girl and a boy (20 names total... insert eye roll here). But hey, it's something! And it's helping to pass the time... almost halfway!
...and no, I'm not showing you the spreadsheet ;)
We have been frequenting places like Baby Name Wizard (their style search is so helpful!) and Sancta Nomina to help with ideas and meanings we hadn't necessarily thought of yet. Whatever name this baby ends up with, it will NOT be spur of the moment. Most likely. Unless I can't make a decision by then. Which is possible. Oh great.
7. We just traded in our trusty-ol Camry for a minivan. Mom status for the win. I'm loving the space, having a working music system (the Carmy one worked but not on our other vehicle, which was mainly what I was driving), and so much more room for activities!
BONUS! Clickables: here are some around-the-internets that are worth a read/watch: